Wednesday, January 25, 2012

5 Days post op...TURN the heat down please!

I am going to take a stab and say I am not going through menopause, because I am a male and too young anyways. And I am going to say that I am not septic (trust me, this is really bad and you don't want this. I have been in septic shock before, Google it) because my incision does not look infected, and I am on antibiotics, and my mental status is within reason because I am writing a post. 

That just leaves ONE thing..SIDE EFFECTS! You know, that paper that comes with your prescription that starts out with, "When taking this medication, you might experience...."and then they just list a whole bunch of random things that are like in 2 font and the only words that do stick out on the paper are...."Seizure, constipation, diarrhea, and DEATH." 

Oh, that medication sounds like a lot of fun, I want to take that! Who wants to have diarrhea? Oh, I do! Thankfully, with the handful of medications that I have had to take after my surgery, Seizures, diarrhea, and death have not been a problem..yet at least. 

I will say, if you ever have to take pain medicine after a surgery, just make sure you drink ALOT of WATER! I will leave it at that and let you figure out why. 

Anyway, one of the lovely side effects that I have gotten to experience during this fun little journey is sweating and increased body temperature. As if I am not already hot enough...KABAM, okay bad joke. 

Part of what happens when you take pain medication is that you blood vessels dilate (gets bigger) and blood flow increases, carrying the medicine to certain receptors, blah, blah blah.. in your body to trigger certain signals, therefore blocking the pain. 

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of your 
blood vessels dilating is....you sweat

It does not make it any better that I have to wear a back brace 24/7 that is like 2 feet tall, up and down my back! With the combination of sweating so much, walking some, and the other wonderful side effect of a decreased appetite...I am going to be a new man after all is said and done with.

You won't even recognize me! Since I am refusing to shave, (mainly because I don't feel like it) I will probably look just like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away". Then when it is time to go back to work, I will shave and really be a new person. I think it is time for me to wrap this up, my mind is getting loopy.  
Until tomorrow...Have a blessed day!

As an UPDATE...My wife broke me and I finally gave in and shaved :( At least I got to get it out of me when I was young and in college. Back then my hair was down to my shoulders and I had a huge beard. I just don't like to shave, okay, I said it! Honestly though, what guy really does?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...